Skip to content

Trends with No Spin

September 14, 2010

 

Often times when public relations is involved in any form of business and communication, one thinks of SPIN. Spin, a gruesome take on the public relations— although all spin is  not negative— it is not what PR is all about. PR is about fully functioning society forming relationships with the public. There are many campaigns showing the good of public relations without the spin. For example, The Susan G Komen for the Cure Foundation hosted a fashion fundraising event with the help of Smashbox Studios and world-renowned fashion designer Diane von Furstenburg to kick off breast cancer awareness month.

In the  Fashion for the Cure Benefit   press release it states its objective which “Seeks to inspire and encourage LA’s fashion, entertainment and medical community to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures”. That statement alone has power and it puts emphasis on its means to help the community affected by breast cancer.
http://www.fashionforthecurela.org/FFTC%20Announcement%20Release_FINAL.pdf

The Susan G. Komen Foundation not only generated publicity and funds but it also raised awareness and it was done tastefully and creatively. The incorporation of Diane von Furstenburg’s Pre-Spring 2009/2010 collection was genius. It gave opportunity to showcase the latest fashions but in a unique way. Every participant in the event was touched by cancer in some way. There were  models who are cancer survivors that sashayed down the runway with smiles and beautiful clothing to offset their victory over cancer.  75 percent of the proceeds from the event went to the breast cancer patient services in the LA community and the remaining 25 percent went to breast cancer research. It was a beautiful event that touched the hearts of many. This is a prime example of good PR and how it builds strong relationships with the public for the betterment of society.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: